Wednesday, August 21, 2013

This is love made at work.

This is our 'Raya' open house, in conjunction with our Muslim friends' celebration Hari Raya, Eid al-Fitr or just 'Feast of Breaking the Fast'.  Wow, one year flew by so quickly.  Still remember our first 'open house' when we moved in to our new office.


Sometimes, I look at this team, I get sort of a bittersweet sour taste.  There are good times and there are bad times.  To expect no outburst in an ad agency for all working days in a year is like expecting perfection.  Sometimes the outburst is understandable and sometimes it's totally unjustifiable.  Like a child throwing a tantrum, I refuse to understand that.  Looking back at all these years of being in the advertising industry, I've came across so many types of people.  The fancy ones, the quiet ones, the emo ones, the straightforward ones, the working ones, and the 'tayang' ones.  Our industry compared to our clients, I must say, is truly colourful and multi-faceted.  I suppose you take some, you got to give some.  To expect excellence in commercial creativity does take a toll on people.

Just something that came up, earlier in my conversation with my boss.  There is only one type of people I'd like to hire.  The ones with Quality and Attitude.  Good quality but badass attitude will just trim off some living years for the rest of us.  Bad quality but a great eager beaver just doesn't seem to cut it either.

Our industry is quite notorious: Everyone has had a 'gangsta-flip-table' moment at least once in their advertising life, to get things done.  And after all those flying f-words, once calmed down, we patch things up.  To be honest, I hate to say this but what is the norm doesn't make it right.  Maybe it's age, maybe it's the amount of time I've spent working in this field - these kinda drama just don't cut it anymore.  I don't mind watching to pass time but I'm just fed up of babysitting and kissing unnecessary asses.  Let's just focus on the work and deliver the best quality we can to the people we serve - our clients, our community and our consumers.

Having said all that.  I'll just take a deep breath and flip the day over.  It's another brand new day.

p/s: Special mention: These two who supported me so much in my everyday work.  Sometimes some harshness is needed to be kind but anyhow, I'm thankful for both of them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment